Setup & Admin - Other Features
There are a number of other handy administration features that I don't think I touched on:
- You can enable emailed alerts. But I couldn't get the NSL to send me anything, even when I tried to exceed a User quota
- Browser-based firmware upgrade from a downloaded file
- Set the time zone and date and time for the NSL's clock
- Enable WINS and specify a server IP
- Restore the factory configuration and save and load the NSL's configuration
- Immediately shutdown or restart the NSL, or schedule shutdown and start up. (Unfortunately, the NSL can't power down the attached USB drive)
- Extensive on-line help is available via a condensed User Guide link and context-sensitive Help button on each screen.
But there are also some notable omissions:
- You can't disable HTTP access to the NSL's drives, nor can you set a different port for admin and file access. Note also that HTTP access is read only
- FTP file access is not supported
- Although you can view a master (merged) log or just a log of the Backup activity (more below), you can't save the log or send it to a syslog server
- Permission (Share, User, Group) activities are not logged, nor are logins and failed login attempts.
- No indication of how much of each User's Quota is used