|There are no user reviews for this product. [Why Not Add Yours?]|
My Cloud uses a Mindspeed Comcerto 2000 (M86261G-12) dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 Communication Processor running at 650 MHz. The Gigabit Ethernet port is a Broadcom BCM54612E Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver. There is no indication on the Broadcom website whether the chip supports jumbo frames. But if it does, that feature wasn't revealed in the UI.
Other components include 256 MB of Samsung K4B2G1646E DDR3 RAM and 512 MB of Winbound 25X40CL flash. The drive is a WD Red 2 TB (WD20EFRX).
My Cloud relies on air convection for cooling - there is no fan. As such, it runs very quitely and the only noise you hear is that of the WD Red drive. The image below shows the drive mounted on top of the PCB.
WD My Cloud internal showing 2TB WD Red NAS drive
The photo below shows the component side of the PCB. The Comcerto SoC is located right in the center of the board.
My Cloud PCB component side
The feature set, for the most part, is the same as found on the WD My Book Live Duo. As with that device, the My Cloud lacks Windows Domain / AC support, USB drive copy, printer sharing and jumbo frame controls. You can, however, attach a powered USB hub to the single USB 3.0 port to connect up to 7 devices. Here's the list of features on the My Cloud:
- SMB/CIFS network filesystems
- AFP ( for Apple Time Machine)
- NFS (only to default Public mount)
- FTP server
- Snapshot ("safepoint") backup
- Apple Time Machine target
- UPnP Certified AV/DLNA 1.5 Media Server (Twonky 7)
- iTunes Server
- SmartWare for Windows bundled client backup application, unlimited licenses (local network). 3 licenses for SmartWare Pro also included
- User level permissions (no groups, no quotas)
- HTTP web administration (no HTTPS)
- Email alerts (w/ built-in SMTP service for no-hassle setup)
- Remote access to shares via WDMycloud service
- WD Photos photo viewer app for iOS, and Android (requires WDmycloud service)
- My Cloud Mobile App for iOS, Android and Windows Phone
The new web-based user interface, shown below, has a horizontal row of menu tabs running across the top of the screen, device status in the center of the screen, and shortcuts to commonly accessed actions, such as Add Cloud Devices, Add Users, etc., across the bottom.
My Cloud home page
The Users menu lets you add or manage users. You can grant users remote access by including their e-mail address. Directions will be e-mailed to the new user with directions for creating a WDMyCloud.com login.
WD MyCloud Users menu
Related Items:WD Tightens Focus On Home Personal Clouds
WD 2go Reviewed
SugarSync Updates iOS Apps With Added Features
WD Goes For Two (Bays) With New My Cloud NAS
Pogoplug Goes All In On Cloud Storage
NOTE! Please post product reviews from actual experience only.
Questions, review comments and opinions about products not based on actual use will not be published.