|SMC Barricade Plus Cable/DSL Broadband router|
|Summary||VPN version of popular Barricade router with SPI based firewall and PPTP / IPsec VPN endpoint, but no printserver or dialup WAN support.
Will probably do better with PPTP vs. IPsec-based VPNs
|Update||10/24/02 - Updates for 2.03e firmware features, including TZO Dynamic DNS, UPnP, PPTP WAN type, and "loopback" support.|
|Pros||• Schedulable firewall rules & URL keyword blocking w/different time periods per day
• Supports 10 WAN IP addresses
• Supports PPTP & IPsec VPN endpoints
• Supports NetBIOS broadcast (MS Network browsing)
|Cons||• No Web traffic logging
• No inbound port range mapping
• 760kbps IPsec VPN performance
• Poor IPsec VPN setup logging
SMC's Barricade Plus is the only one of the current crop of inexpensive VPN endpoint routers to support both IPsec and PPTP tunnels. I found it to be similar to its non-VPN sibling the SMC7004VBR [reviewed here], but with a few idiosyncracies of its own...