Synology’s new OS includes betas for email service and virtualization.
Key features of DSM 6.0 include:
- Virtual DSM (beta) and Docker DSM packages enable businesses to run multiple instances of DSM on a single Synology NAS
- The MailPlus and MailPlus Server (beta) packages for secure, private mail service
- Private cloud collaboration suite including spreadsheet and presentation apps
- PetaSpace for creating a single shared folder across multiple volumes over 1PB in size, Snapshot Replication for multi-site backups and Hyper Backup for multi-version backup to various network and cloud targets
- Revamped Cloud Station Suite with speedier performance, group permissions, and bandwidth control.
- Redesigned Video Station and DS video with offline transcoding and support for more platforms, including Apple TV, Apple Watch and Windows 10.
- Strengthened security with role-based access for non-root WebAPI
- Btrfs file system support for NAS models with 64-bit processors, full-content search indexing and 64-bit architecture
Synology DSM 6.0
Also announced was the DiskStation DS416slim. It’s a dual-core 1 GHz Marvell Armada 385 based compact NAS with four hot-swappable 2.5" bays, 512 MB of DDR3 RAM and two Gigabit Ethernet ports and dual USB 3.0 ports. It runs the just-released DSM 6.0 and will be available shortly for around $290.