Like every other website on the planet, SmallNetBuilder uses cookies. Our cookies track login status, but we only allow admins to log in anyway, so those don't apply to you. Any other cookies you pick up during your visit come from advertisers, which we don't control.
If you continue to use the site, you agree to tolerate our use of cookies. Thank you!

Router Charts

Click for Router Charts

Router Ranker

Click for Router Ranker

NAS Charts

Click for NAS Charts

NAS Ranker

Click for NAS Ranker

More Tools

Click for More Tools

NAS Reviews

BitTorrent - In (in)action

Once a download is started, the main download configuration screen will show its status, with information such as percentage complete, download rate, and upload rate.

To test the BitTorrent client, I downloaded a couple of torrent files from LegalTorrents.com and started them up using all of the defaults. After a few seconds, I expected to see the data really start flowing in, but instead, the status screen showed that I was only getting a trickle.

Figure N, BitTorrent Download Status

The fact that I was getting any data at all showed me that the client was working, but it didn't appear to be working well. To verify that my torrents were good, I also started them up on my iBook, where I saw normal behavior, i.e. a handful of peers, and consistent download speed. I let my iBook torrent download continue and within a couple of hours, it was complete. The ADS download, on the other hand, continued to poke along. I left it running while I was on a three-day business trip and when I returned, it had completed only 15% of the file!

I know from experience that sometimes peer-to-peer programs do better if they have a hole punched in the firewall. So using the configuration menu, I determined which port was in use for the BitTorrent client and I then forwarded that port from my firewall to the ADS. But it didn't help, as I was still getting very slow download speed. It was time to call in help from ADS.

Initially I filled out a Tech Support web form, but other than an initial automated acknowledgment, I never received a response. So after waiting a few days, I used my review contacts to get in touch with a product engineer. The engineer acknowledged that the behavior I was seeing was a known issue in some network environments and it was being worked on. But until the issue is resolved, the BitTorrent client is essentially unusable. In the several weeks I had the review unit, I never had a completed download from any of the multiple different torrents I tried.

More NAS

Wi-Fi System Tools
Check out our Wi-Fi System Charts, Ranker and Finder!

Support Us!

If you like what we do and want to thank us, just buy something on Amazon. We'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!

Over In The Forums

A feature request to Asuswrt-Merlin branchI've got an rt-ac86u operating in AP-mode behind a firewall. It would be nice to be able to take advantage o...
Experiencing a very strange issue with my RT-AC86U. Everything works great via the 5GHz radio (eth6), but when a device connects to the 2.4GHz radio (...
Hi do not be angry. I do not speak well in English.My trouble would be such that I bought it a little of my money was a new routert finally.Too I am b...
I don't log in to github all that often, but I did just now and saw this:https://github.com/jackyaz/VNCConnectDownloaderYou cooking something special ...
Hey All,So i've done a search here but haven't found a solution.I have an asus RT-AC68U and had Merlin's 380.68.4 firmware on it. I updated to 384.13 ...

Don't Miss These

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3