Except for the RAID features, using and configuring the TeraStation Pro II is a very similar experience to using either of the LinkStations (Pro or Live). However, as noted above, I was disappointed that the USB drives I used in testing the LinkStation Live didn’t mount properly.
To further test the device, I intentionally failed a drive. I shut down the TeraStation Pro II and pulled the data/power connector from Drive 1 (Figure 10). I then rebooted the NAS. As expected, it detected the error condition upon boot up.
There was no shortage of notification of the disk error. First, both the message light and the error LEDs to the left of the display illuminated. In addition, the fail LED for drive one turned on. The display status also let me know about the drive failure and notified me that it was running in a degraded mode. You can see shots of these LCD panel messages in the slideshow.
Since I had configured Email notification, I got an email notifying me of the problem. Finally, when I logged into the user interface, the error condition was displayed at the top of the home page (Figure 11). Without SNMP support, you really can’t expect better notification.
Figure 10: TeraStation Pro II with Drive 1 removed to simulate a failure. Note the status panel and error indicator LEDs.
Figure 11: TeraStation Pro II home page showing RAID error and Drive 1 disconnected.
After simulating the drive failure, I rebooted the Pro II and wrote some additional data to the degraded RAID. I then shut it down, reconnected the "failed" drive, and rebooted. The Pro II recognized that the drive had been reconnected, but it didn’t automatically start to rebuild the mirror. I had to log into the management console and select Disk 1 to add it to the array. I was warned that I might lose data, and had to type in a four-digit confirmation code matching one generated by the Pro II to confirm that I wanted to add the drive to the RAID 10 array.
From a non-technical user’s perspective, I think I would have preferred the automatic rebuild found on the LaCie EDR. However, unlike the LaCie that seemed to take forever to rebuild the mirror, the TeraStation Pro II re-mirroring for this test completed in about an hour and a half.